Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The (Gay) Daddy Diaries - uploaded

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who were fortunate enough to be part of my select e-mail list, you'll remember that back in 2008 I documented the journey of K. into our family. Well, 3 years later, with a bit more wisdom (and more grey hair), Greg and I are beginning the process once again in welcoming a new son to our family.

For those new to this blog, some quick background information. Greg and I are a happily married, gay couple living in Montreal. We've been together 5 years now and for the past 3 years we've been dads to a beautiful boy (K.) whom we have now officially adopted through Batshaw (Montreal's English division of Youth Protection Services). In Quebec we have something called the mixed-bank (foster-to-adopt) program. These children are already placed in foster care, but Batshaw is seeking permanent homes for them with the intent that they may eventually become adoptable. Increasingly many gay and lesbian couples are participating in the mixed-bank program and are actually being sought out as resources. For more information check out the Coalition des Familles Homoparentales (http://www.familleshomoparentales.org/)

We had always thought of having two children and after being on the list with Batshaw for about a year, a match has been made and we are about to transition N. into our family. So K. (who is now 4) and N. (who is 2) will grow into being brothers and Greg and I will become dads to the second degree.

When K. joined us, I took the parental leave and I documented my discoveries through what I called the Daddy Diaries. What began as a way to preserve my sanity by laughing about my parental neuroses while K. was napping, soon became my family's favorite reading material and made other parents in my circle snicker.

So as I am about to embark on another journey, I figured I'd dust off those old Daddy Diaries, post them here and pick up with volume 2. All in all 8 entries were written and then I went back to work and I stopped as the rythm of working life took over again. Rereading them I'm brought back to the joys and pains we experienced transitioning K. into our family. For any of you who have adopted, you'll know what I mean.

So the next entries will date back to 2008 and early 2009, but keep an eye out for upcoming news. Greg and I meet N. for the first time tomorrow and K. will meet him the day after. From there we're on a 2 week schedule of visits until N. is placed with us officially.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait knowing how the first meeting will go tomorrow!
    Go Steelers! (all three, and soon four, of you, guys)

    Olivier

    ReplyDelete